Friday, June 29, 2018
I have a commission to work on that needs two large red wrapped balls. I weigh the fibrefill so they will be approximately the same size. I stopped in between wrapping the two balls to photograph the pile of fluff that gets wrapped down to the ball, it's quiet unruly in the beginning. The second photo shows the size of the ball on my hand.
Thursday, June 28, 2018
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
And some lichen. Gathered from a friend's Mum's yard. Thank you Maria. Unfortunately trees had to be taken down, a liquid amber and a birch, but these beauties grew on the stumps and branches. It will be interesting to see what the dye bath will produce. I thought dyeing with fungi was a slow process like lichen, which it can be in summer, but since it is winter here I will use the boiling method to get the dye.
Tuesday, June 26, 2018
Monday, June 25, 2018
These two sweeties are off to work with Piers today. A thank you gift for Loung who gave me the plant to dye with. I used the plant to dye the yarn then crocheted the reindeer. There ended up two every-so-slightly different colours, it will be the two different yarns dyed.
Sunday, June 24, 2018
This is a bit of a long term project. I wanted to dye with licken but wasn't sure where I could get some, especially since I live in a city and licken is protected and very important to the environment. Then I remembered that you can buy lichen in Hearns Hobbies, a model making shop in the city. Had a look, and yes they had natural lichen, there are also dyed varieties. So, the lichen is in a mix of ammonia and water and will ferment in this mix for at least three months, getting shaken when I remember. Different species of lichen produce different colours, so we shall see, will keep you updated.
Saturday, June 23, 2018
A friend from Piers' work gave me a plant from his garden that they usually put in rice and it turns it orange. He couldn't remember the name of it, does anyone know it? When you scrunch the leaves there isn't a smell, just a planty aroma. When I first made the dye pot, the water was red, then once it cooled it was a rusty brown colour. They yarn and embroidery cotton came out a dark salmon pink. This natural dyeing thing is fun.
An Update. The plant name is Vietnamese Magenta Plant. It’s only used for colouring rice, not for eating.
Friday, June 22, 2018
Yesterday was Sit & Stitch at Can Do Books. I took along reindeer made using the yarn I dyed with black beans. I had already made two bodies the night before, yesterday I crocheted two more bodies, two heads, one set of ears and one set of antlers at Can Do. I put one reindeer together at the shop, then make his scarf last night. Now to finish the others.
Thursday, June 21, 2018
The red cabbage is so bright, it is a shame it doesn't get taken up by the yarn. The embroidery cotton is close to the colour of the dye pot. The first two photos are taken in the kitchen which has a yellow light and changes that colour in the photos, always difficult to photograph actual colour.
Wednesday, June 20, 2018
Tuesday, June 19, 2018
Miffle and Sammi (which I will share tomorrow) were a commission I finished and now has been delivered. The pattern was by Erica McBride, The Soft Scientist. Various yarns were used for the crocheted horse. The saddle and bridle were bought, the horse is 1:9 scale apparently. I had to change the bridle a bit to fit and not cover Miffle's eyes. I forgot to measure, but the horse is approximately 20cm tall.
Monday, June 18, 2018
Sunday, June 17, 2018
I bought this little table at a garage sale many years ago for a couple of dollars. I sanded it, painted it then painted the flowers on the top. It was used as the side table in our spare room. When the spare room was converted to the craft room, it didn't fit in. Without storage, it needed to go. So I put a 'free' sign on it and put it out on the nature strip. It was gone very quickly. The following week the person who took it came and thanked me for a lovely table, it was just the thing for their room and they love it. I was so happy the little table went to someone that really wanted it.
Saturday, June 16, 2018
Friday, June 15, 2018
Sometimes I am very good at procrastinating. I have a project I really need to get working on, and I have started, but needed some ribbon for the project. Oo, look, the ribbon tub needs sorting and ribbons need bagging. An hour later back to the project.
Thursday, June 14, 2018
Wednesday, June 13, 2018
All the books I have, when discussing dyeing with onion skins, use brown onions. So I thought I would use red onion skins and see what happens. Quite the surprise, the dye bath was purple/pink, the yarn after boiling and cooling was purple/pink (forgot to take a photo unfortunately), not sure when it changed exactly, but after wringing and washing got mustard yellow. I don't know if it was the air that changed it, the tap water, or the wool wash, or thats the way it just is. It's a lovely yellow.
Tuesday, June 12, 2018
On Saturday I went to the Handspinners and Weavers Guild and bought some alum and three skeins of yarn for dyeing. One is already in the dye pot. The white one says the fibre is rose top. Not sure what that is, will have to look it up. It has a nice soft silky feel.
Monday, June 11, 2018
Sunday, June 10, 2018
Saturday, June 9, 2018
Rhubarb. Knitted stems, crocheted leaves. There are going to be three double blocks which will help help break up the checkerboard effec...