Monday, August 10, 2020

Wattle Tree

 




We have a very large wattle tree in our front yard that we planted when we moved in nearly 20 years ago.  We planted it because they are fast growing and would protect the other more slow growing plants, mainly the Japanese Maple.  The down side of wattle trees are that they only live around 9 years.  Ours keeps looking like it's on the way out, but then, like this year puts on a beautiful display of it's yellow pom pom flowers.  So I thought I would cut some branches and put them in a dye pot.  Wasn't sure what colour I would get, but this wasn't it.  There were some red tones in the pot after it had boiled and I put the lid on and left it to cool overnight.  

The two pieces of fabric on the left are from an outfit my Mother-in-law gave me.  Indian embroidery on silk (I think that is what the fabric is) which dyed up beautifully, loving how the embroidery thread did not take on much dye.  The next yarn was unlabelled, so not sure, but know it is a linen base.  And the yarn on the right is from the baby blanket I ripped back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookends & More

  Had a lovely day yesterday on Mothers Day.  We went for a drive to Geelong for some lunch and a rummage around a 2nd Hand/Antiques place. ...